1. Drink a cup of hot milk(without adding sugar).
2. Take hot bath 3 to 4 hrs before going to bed.
3. Stop thinking and worrying about anything. Just feel comfortable and forget all your problems. Do not have any fear while sleeping.
4. Goto bed early and getup early in the morning(not before 3AM. Getting up at 4AM is recommended).
5. Do prayer or breathing exercise for 5 minutes. Regular meditation and Yoga or exercise can solve all type of problems like sleeplessness etc, and surly ensures a Good night sleep. This will really have a big impact on your quality of sleep.
6. Do not hold your body tight for any reason, while on the bed. Leave it free, feel relaxed.
7. Avoid alcohol, Caffeine consumption at night.
8. Goto bed and getup in the morning regularly at the same time. This will be a healthy practice and will help in maintaining the health in older age.
9. Avoid sleeping in the afternoon as far as possible. If you want to powerup yourselves, then a sleep of not more than 20 mints is recommended(just a nap).
10. Plugin some cotton into your earns to avoid noise and chill.
11. Avoid light while sleeping. Let your bedroom be as dark as possible. Wear an eye mask to block out light.This would provide more relaxation feel and its also good for eyes.
12. Use mosquito nets and avoid sprays, coils and mosquito repellent creams on your body.
13. Do not have mobiles, radio, Television(turned on) inside your sleeping room. These devices will be attracting elector Magnetic Rays and may harm you a lot over time and you may never get to know the reason for your ailment.
14. Do not ware tight cloths while going to bed.
15. Do not use laud and harsh alarm. This will make you get up in a bad mood. Instead use an alarm with good music to wake you up like a close friend. If you have a regular sleeping and wakeup time, then alarm is of no use, but still having a good music to wake you up early in the morning will not hurt. And do not place the alarm clock in front of you while sleeping. Keep it out of sight, as it might be a kind of distraction in some case.
16. Have a balanced food 1 or 2 hr before going to bed. Do not eat grains and other things which contains high glucose(energy) content, also avoid intake of suger. And avoid taking more spicy content in your diet. Eating some fruits after the regular meals is recommended. And avoid those food, to which you are allergic.
And many people advice not to take food at night or to take very little food at night, but I don’t think its good for teenagers. I feel that, we should eat sufficiently every time we sit to eat, just see that you don’t eat more than you want!
17. Make sure you are comfortable with the pillows and bedding that you have, if not change it. Take a smooth pillow, if its too hard.
18. Don’t drink any fluids within 2 hours of going to bed. This will reduce the likelihood of needing to get up and go to the bathroom or at least minimize the frequency. Go to the bathroom right before bed. This will reduce the chances that you’ll wake up to go in the middle of the night.
19. Keep your bed only for sleeping purpose. If you use it to watch TV or doing other work, you may find it hard to relax and to think of the bed as a place to sleep. Use your bed only for taking rest and nothing else. This practice is really healthy.
Practice it for some months and you will fall sleep as soon as you lay on the bed.
20. After following all these, still if you are not able to get a Good night sleep, then also don’t worry. Just getup early in the morning and thus you will feel sleepy the next night soon.
Human body takes time to adjust to the changes that we incorporate. So, just practice it for a week and see for the results.
Even then, if you are not getting sleep, then its better to consult a Doctor.
Taking sleeping tablets are not recommended. It may cause some psychological problems over time and if you get addicted to those tablets, then it becomes a disease more harmful than, sleeplessness.